Friday, July 20, 2007

Is it Worth it to be an asshole at the poker table?

Wrote this about half a year ago.

The set up. On my most recent trip to Trump Taj I had a very successful time at the 1 2 NL tables. There was a lot of back story to what led up to me busting a young kid in a blue jacket. To start the night off I was seated at a freshly opened 1 2 NL table with my standard buy in 120. play is interesting all of a sudden early on there is action Blue makes a big pre flop raise of 15 with A J suited early position. gets 2 callers the flop is an ugly [K K 4 Rainbow] Blue leads out and is called by one player, a older man. Next comes blue's ace. Blue takes another stab, old guy puts blue all in. The old timer has K 9 os. and takes a big pot off the Blue jacket Kid. The kid ribbed the old man for playing with K 9 as he raised the pot. he was PO'ed! I decided he'd be my mark for the night then.

To top It off, I decide the kid has a temper and is subject to tilt. So I call him out on his play with the old man. He goes off as expected. With my Sharp attitude, I say something to get a Sharp response. He stands up and tells me what I can do with my opinion and makes a mild threat to me. I Scream in a Deep baritone voice FFFFFFFFLLLLLOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR! Three Very Very large men come to our table, and the dealer prompts them as well to our villain at the table. one man speaks to the Kid in Blue, as two Large meat heads stand behind his chair. This made him stand up and say it's not me... I did not say that, it's not me!!! He was issued a warning. PERFECT! Just as I planed. I lost a pot or two to him after this as he was aggressive to me, and even showed a bluff and taunted me openly. No need to call floor now. I have him completely tilted.

A little later after.... I told him pre flop I was going to give him action loosely calling his 15, he said fine it's your money(It certainly will be). He was elicit talking to me, so pleased to get in to a hand with me again. He was such a kid, if he took his head phones off… He might have heard me practically reveal my hand and gotten away from it. Or at least put me on a hand, as my voice cracked. (Was kinda funny to me) Flop was [5 10 J] he did not get away from it after I check MIN- re raised him. I said to him, do you have a Jack? he said nothing. I said I bet you don't even have a ten. ...He went all in. I Thought he had trips for a sec. But he opened his mouth - to ask if I had Kings? I say, "...............(realizing he has aces, or queens) Nope, and I call."

I show Jacks up. he did not improve with his aces, and I busted him. My question. He definitely over played them, and may have gone broke in this hand any way. But did my picking on him with the intent of tilting him get him to make a All in bet when he did not have too? He acted fast and did not think about the conversation. It was a sort of Auto Push. with his aces. only after he put it in did he think that he might not win this hand. All in all after he left having not a dollar to his name, the table said to me. that was quite a chain of events I pulled with him. as if to complement me on a Massive set up. as I planed to bust him with ten jack. well I still could have lost, but I was far ahead of his pocket pair when the money went in.

Do you guys agree that My tilting of this character is what caused him to over play his hand? or might he have done the same, with out all the Hollywood FULL BLOWN TILT attitude toward him? This said, I have to say I am very cool headed quiet at the table, unless I know someone. the I am just banter and having fun. I completely changed my image for this day at the table. sort of like how I would play chess in the city. Talking to my opponents telling how terrible they are and what a horrible play... and so on. like toying with them. I don't have the poker chops to fully do this, but for a trial run at the table it may have been a contributor. Love to get any responces or reply posts. TY all for reading

No comments: